GETTING TO TUTWA
CHECK- IN AT TUTWA: Please plan your trip carefully. Check in time is strictly 14:00. While restrictions are in place, the gate will only be unlocked at 14:00. Guests arriving early without prior arrangement with management (and subject to availability) will be charged R750 per person and not have access to rooms before 14:00 on the day. This is to accommodate Covid cleaning protocols.
- BY ROAD: While a sedan will comfortably manage the roads, we suggest a SUV type vehicle for safety and comfort on the gravel road. 4x4 is NOT necessary. Tutwa is well sign-posted from the Augrabies Falls. As always, extra caution is advised on the gravel/dirt roads, especially if you are not familiar with driving on this surface.
- ROAD TRANSFERS: Transfers can be arranged from Upington airport
- CHARTER/FLY-IN SAFARI: A 1200m gravel runway enables a Caravan, PC12 or smaller to land at Tutwa where staff will meet you and transfer you to the lodge. At nearby Dundi Lodge, AVGAS is available.
- DIRECTIONS AND CHARTER DETAILS: please click on the tabs links on the map below.
Directions on Google Maps
Directions by road to Tutwa Desert Lodge
- From Upington follow the signage to the N14/Springbok; you will travel through Keimoes and Kakamas.
- Turn off the N14 on to the R359 ( +- 8km outside of Kakamas) towards the Augrabies Falls.
- Continue 20km, past Augrabies/Augrabies Falls turn-off
- A further 7km you will see Dundi Lodge and the Dundi Airstrip/hanger on your left.
- Please call in and ask them to let Tutwa know you are on your way.
- Continue straight on for 10km – until the road surface becomes gravel (you will lose cell phone reception here) Signage: TUTWA DESERT LODGE – STRAIGHT AHEAD
- Continue straight following the signage to TUTWA DESERT LODGE along the dirt road.
- Please be aware of large trucks and plenty of dust as you travel; stick to your side of the road.
- Please drive carefully especially if you are not used to gravel road driving, there are some very sharp turns.
- Continue to a farm house with a green roof on the right hand side of the road.
- Turn right through the gates - Tutwa staff will be there to transfer you to the lodge which is 7km further.
Southern Cross Game Reserve Airstrip Procedure and Flight Rules
Upon receiving this request to land, the Southern Cross Central Booking office will process the request and in the event permission to land is forthcoming, will provide, in writing prior to landing, a CONSENT TO LAND REFERENCE NUMBER. No aircraft are allowed to land at Southern Cross Game Reserve landing strips or helipads without consent from Southern Cross and without a signed Disclaimer/Waiver.
The minimum height to be maintained over Southern Cross Game Reserve is 1500ft above ground level (AGL). This height should be maintained until the joining procedure and final approach to a landing strip or helipad. Aircraft should maintain height until close to the landing site or landing strip and then descent as per the required safety operating instructions of the aircraft. For departures, aircraft should ascent to the recommended height as soon as possible after take-off, as close to the take-off site as possible, before leveling off and entering a cruise.
- Power lines are on the threshold of runway 09. Take extreme caution when approaching to land on 09 or when taking off runway 27 or a go around on 27.
All aircraft must following standard procedures for approaches and departures from the airstrips or helipads.
Pilots are requested to broadcast their intentions 5 minutes before landing on frequency 124.80 MHZ
- Length: 1.2 Km
- Width: 22 Meters
- Surface:Compacted gravel
- Direction: 09 - 27
- Elevation: 674 Meters
- Co-ordinates: S28˚35.761’ E019˚50.525
Directors: CE Steenkamp SM Steenkamp G Cicogna Mozzoni LC Hanekom AJ Van Zyl